Monday, June 14, 2010

Social Etiquette on Twitter: Hockey Players are people too..

As I am a frequent twitter user, over the last while I have noticed hockey fans being outright disrespectful and ridiculous. As an avid hockey fan and a passionate one at that I recognize that fans need an outlet to voice their opinions and i am fine with you doing that over your twitter status updates and what not but my issue is when you outright disrespectful to NHL hockey players or public figures in general about them as a person. As fans we are very lucky to have things like twitter to interact and talk with stars and connect with them why must we take advantage of that opportunity.

Yes pro athletes make a lot of money in the sport of their choice but they are not just athletes they are people too. I think it is time that someone stand up and say what the hell is your problem. These players work their asses off to train and work at their skills to essentially play for your favorite team.

This is not a long blog because i don't want to ramble on but i want my message to be this...If you would not stand in front of that person face to face and say those things then don't say them on twitter or facebook or whatever.

Time for some people to grow up and be respectful. I am not saying don't voice your opinions but do it tastefully. I am afraid that before long we will lose this opportunity to connect with our favorite players or celebrities and that players will begin to think that fans are a bunch of people that only care about themselves.


Thanks all

No comments:

Post a Comment