Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Bench Boss Change

Today the Edmonton Oilers GM Steve Tambellini has announced that associate coach Tom Renney will be the new Bench Boss next season pushing Pat Quinn into a senior advisor to hockey position. For Pat's sake and oiler fans I really hope that Quinn is able to stay on with the franchise and make his well appreciated contributions to making this team a team of champions.

As far as the coaching decision i think it was necessary for the future and couldnt have picked a better coach than Renney. "leadership is not just a word it is a living thing. They look to me to be the beacon of what leadership looks like,smells like,tastes like and sounds like". This is what excites me about Tom Renney, he is a hard working, accountable coach who is the right man going forward. He will still have the hockey mind of Pat Quinn right behind him. I feel that Tom Renney will be a coach for the next 5 -7 years I am happy that he has to opportunity to soak up knowledge from a vet like Quinn.

However, was not a big fan about the way the tambellini dealt with it. I know its been a busy off season and all but I would have thought this kind of change would have happened sooner, if this was really they way they were always going. It seemed that Tambellini was convinced that the schedule was too hectic for Quinn. For me I see that as being disrespectful

In the Pat Quinn conference call some of his comments are:

"I don't want to just walk away from the edmonton oilers, it is part of my honor to stay here." "I will be here as long as my contributions are sound." "My goal was to come and help the oilers be successful and define what it meant to be an oiler."

Pat Quinn is a passionate, knowledgeable, and candid hockey mind who's made contributions to making the edmonton oilers a team of champions again, making them a competitive, perseverent team! I got choked up listening to Pat's conference call because its obvious he was caught off guard and was looking forward to continuing to build this team up to what they should be.... champions and now he has to do that through the looking glass.

If nothing else I thought and still firmly believe that the team inside that dressing room do not have the comradory they need to to be successful. They don't believe in each and they don't believe that they can win!
What were your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment